Tree Planting Reimbursement Program

Potted Tree - Brady Nursery - Wichita, KS

Get Reimbursed for Planting Trees!

If you are a resident of Maize, then we have some amazing news for you! Property owners within Maize city limits are eligible to receive a refund for trees planted this year. The refund is 20% of the purchase price of trees planted, and can be up to $100 per household. There are a few conditions that must be met in order to receive a refund.

Tree Species

To receive a refund, the planted tree must be listed on the approved list created by the Kansas Urban Forestry Council. The list includes tree species that are ideal for planting in South Central Kansas. Its categories are broken down by various sized deciduous and evergreen trees. Then the list further clarifies which trees would be ideal in various environments and their landscape attributes. The list includes trees of many common varieties such as maple, oak, crabapple, pine, linden and elm. The full list of preferred tree species can be found here and at City Hall.

Yearly Eligibility

Each Maize household is eligible for a rebate of up to $100 per calendar year. Rebates are issued on a first come first serve basis through the end of December each year.

Tree Size

To qualify for the refund, trees must meet certain size requirements. Newly planted trees must be a minimum of a 5 gallon container size. The recommended size for planting is 1.5" - 2.5" balled and burlap. 

City Ordinances

There are a few city ordinances that must also be followed, especially in order to receive a tree planting refund. 

Ordinance #503, Section 8 states that no tree can be planted closer than thirty-five feet to any intersection. This includes intersections with a street, alley, avenue, lane, private or public driveway. The distance is measured from the point of nearest intersection curbs or curb lines.

Ordinance #503, Section 9 states that only small trees may be planted under overhead utility wires. Also, only small trees can be planted within ten feet of utility wires. Only small trees are allowed over or within five feet of sewer lines, transmission lines or other utility/public improvements. 

Keep Your Receipt!

Lastly, don’t forget to keep the receipt that has your tree purchase(s) on it! The receipt must be sent to City Hall along with the form available below.